Friday 23 October 2015

Two Years On - Thanks to my Donor

I've been lucky enough to have had my new healthy heart and lungs for two whole years now. Every extra day of new life has been a bonus and always will be. Thanks to my donor I've been able to do so much, see so many things and live life to the full. I didn't ever think my first year post transplant could be surpassed, but this second year has been another fabulous one. It's been extra special because I've been able to celebrate my daughter Rose's twenty-first birthday and also Sarah's marriage to Oli earlier on in the year. These are family celebrations I wouldn't have been well enough or even alive to see if it hadn't been for the generosity of my donor.




The day before my transplant anniversary is our wedding anniversary and the day after is Rob's birthday, so it's a busy time in our family for celebrations. This year it was our 25th wedding anniversary - the big silver one and one I didn't ever expect to see a few years ago. We decided to do something extra special and have the holiday of a lifetime to celebrate all three occasions. 

I can only say an enormous thank you to my donor, my donor's family, the transplant team who tirelessly worked to save my life and still give me such excellent ongoing care and all my family and friends who've supported me and still do.  

I was able to visit many new places and have some new and wonderful experiences all thanks to my donor and the very special gift of my new heart and lungs. I visited new cities, went on a cruise for the first time ever and travelled overnight on the Orient Express - something I've always dreamed of doing since being a child! There aren't any words to describe how organ donation can make such a huge difference to a family and how having a second chance at life is such an amazing gift.

Please think about signing up to the organ donor register and discuss organ donation with your family if you haven't already done so - three people a day still lose their lives waiting for a transplant. I know I've been extremely lucky - organ donation truly does make such a difference - it gives independence back and an ability to do simple things again such as bathing, walking, cooking and even pushing a supermarket trolly around. The special moments we've enjoyed this last few weeks are just the icing on the cake when you've been given back those more simple and basic things in life. It's those simple things that really matter and make such a difference, as well as being given extra time with your loved ones to make as many new memories as you can.



Rome







The Ship






Corfu


Kotor



Venice








The Orient Express



Prague






 We visited many beautiful churches while we were away giving us chance to stop, reflect and give thanks to my donor - my donor and their family are always in our thoughts. 








No comments:

Post a Comment